Authentic Entrepreneurship is about being connected to WHO you are and WHY that lies behind your purpose.
2012 has been a year, when i have wrestled with this notion and have come out the other side, ready to embrace the challenges that life throws at me. I can honestly say that i have never been so clearer about what i do and why i do it, but that in itself, creates its own challenges…
I genuinely believe, that we are all destined to make a mark in this world, in your environment, in your community, on your street or wherever you have some influence. But it is having the courage to take the actions that are needed, which sets those who achieve and those who dream, apart! As entrepreneurs, it is easy to have a ‘me against the world’ mentality, but with the dust settles, we all need support and we all need to learn from what life teaches us even if we do not want to be taught those lessons!
This year, I have actively sought these lessons and have made a concerted effort to understand what they mean to me, in my life..and what i have learnt, has helped me to create change in the lives of others. But as i move into 2013, it is clear that i still have a long entrepreneurial journey ahead, which i am fine with!
As we enter into 2013, let me share with you the six major lessons, that I have been taught in 2012 – I hope they help you, in some way:
1) The only constant in life is change – What is now, with not always be, so any plans, strategies must have a degree of flexibility in them to adapt to the changes that will occur, otherwise you simply remain stagnant and are in fact, going backwards in the fullness of time.
2) Embrace your enemies – forget that saying ‘keep your enemies close but your enemies closer’ – it breeds contempt, hate and bitterness. Learn to embrace your enemies for you have a chance to educate them, or teach them the lesson that stops them being an enemy. However, this lesson goes hand in hand with the next one on my list..
3) Don’t allow your kindness, to be your weakness – even as you embrace your enemies, always operate from the position of your values and standards. That way, you have your own benchmark to gauge your progress, impact and level of relationships with others.
4) Plan, to reflect – setting goals is important, meeting them is key. But aim to be in a position to reflect on what you have achieved in 12 months, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years time etc – from a mindset perspective, it helps you to focus past your goal, but having achieved it automatically!
5) Be clear and honest about your why – people will say they did not understand you, if your message has not been communicated clearly. Eliminate the possibility of not understanding, by being very clear and honest on the WHY of your message. Your WHY is the driver for all that you do, so live and operate by it!
6) Worry less, Do more – Action is the key to success! If you are someone who worries too much about what may happen, then remember to implement my tip number 1 (see above), because by the time you take action, it’s all changed anyway…but at least, you are prepared for it!
Thank you being part of my 2012 and hope to connect with you more in 2013!
Till the next time, J